The building originally had six rooms… three on each side divided by a narrow hallway that stretched the entire length of the building. The hallway has a door on each end. At one time, according to an old insurance map, the building boasted a saloon attached to the south side of the building with access to the hallway and the ladies. Each of the small rooms has a window and two doors. One door opens into the room from the outside and on the opposite wall another door opens into the narrow hallway.
Two doors in each room were efficient for business back in the day: gentlemen in, gentlemen out. But the doors also provided an optional means of escape for the ladies in the event of a violent or abusive client.
Richard and Edie Koepnick of Goldfield bought the building in June of 2017. The original name of this old brothel is lost in the past and probably changed many times during its heyday. The Koepnicks’ plan to turn it into a parlor house (without the ladies, of course) and have christened it StonehouseParlor.
The summers of 1917 and 2018 saw sorting and clearing of both the building and grounds. The grounds were littered with old cars parts, piles of old lumber and trash as well as sagebrush overgrowth the size of small trees. The inside of the building was piled with trash and personal items that belonged to a previous owner. And, sadly, the building had been looted and vandalized several times in the past.
2019 was a good year… lots of progress inside including, flooring, lighting and other needed revisions. The long hallway was replaced and wainscotting installed and ready for stain or paint. The walls in the parlor room are readied for fancy wallpaper.