The Goldfield Hotel
The Goldfield Hotel was built in 1907 by the Hayes - Monette
Syndicate and designed by prominent Reno architects Holesworth
and Curtis, the Goldfield Hotel was the most prominent building
built in Goldfield, it operated through the 1940s.
Construction began in April 1907. The main floor of the
four-story building was constructed of grey granite stones from
Rocklin, California, while upper stories were made from
reddish-brown brick. The building is U-shaped and measures 180
by 100 feet. The center of the structure is recessed, with two
wings for public rooms on the main floor and guest rooms in the
upper stories. Hotel visitors entered the lobby by climbing a
few steps up from the street onto the pillared porch. Above the
porch were balconies on the second and third floors from which
the guests could view the street, town and countryside. The
floors of public rooms and the entry porch were covered by small
white mosaic tiles interspersed with a few black ones to create
a geometric design. The owners boasted that the building was
fireproof and outfitted the upper floors with numerous black
metal fire escapes.
The roof was flat with a massive white cornice extending over
the edge of the top of the building. The original design of the
hotel included 150 sleeping rooms and 45 suites with bathrooms.
A few of the guest rooms were located on the main floor, but
most were on the upper floors. Most of the rooms shared a
claw-foot bathtub and toilet, but all had running water.
heat was generated by an on-site power plant. The lobby
contained the mahogany reception desk with the room key rack
behind it, the switchboard, a public telephone booth, and the
elevator. The elevator ran at 300 feet per minute, one of the
fastest in Nevada. The saloon was off the left of the lobby;
male guests entered the dining room directly from the saloon.
The ladies, however, used a separate entrance from the lobby
because they were not allowed in the saloon.
The dining room, named the Grill, was the largest room in the
building, extending the width of the building with plate glass
windows that overlooked Crook Street. Next to the dining room in
the back of the hotel was the kitchen. Mahogany paneling covered
the walls of the lobby, saloon, and dining room. Around the
lobby’s three iron pillars were circular, black leather buttoned
banquettes; other furniture included big leather swivel chairs,
couches, and brass cuspidors or spittoons. Crystal electric
lights and other lights were suspended from the beamed ceiling.
The estimated cost of the building was between $300,000 and
$400,000. Manager and part owner J. Franklin (Frank) Douglas
bought about $40,000 of furniture from Chicago for the main and
second floors. The guest rooms were luxuriously furnished with
carpeting, telephones, draperies, glass lamps, hardwood dressers
with glass plate mirrors, cuspidors, and brass beds.
The Goldfield Hotel is privately owned and is not open
to the public for tours.
Do you have a Goldfield Hotel brass & copper spittoon, bed warmer,
oil lamp or other?
In the 1980’s the late Gary Wakefield had a number of
“reproduction” items for sale in his shop in Reno, NV. The brass
items all had plates on them that read GOLDFIELD HOTEL,
GOLDFIELD NEVADA. All these items were made to order in Mexico,
there were no originals, they are all modern fantasy pieces. The
brass oil lamps were about 17 inches high and the burners marked
Kosmos Brenner. Shorter double lamps were also made. Other
reproductions made were, GANS-NELSON FIGHT PROGRAMS GOLDFIELD,