Goldfield Historical Society  Worlds Greatest Gold Camp

Home  ::  About Us  ::  Donate/Join  ::  News & Events  ::  Fundraisers  ::  Links  ::  Myth A Month  ::  Contact  ::  Featured Story


Featured Historic Properties

The Gables

Charles S. Sprague House (“The Gables”) built in 1907.

Sprague came to Goldfield in December, 1905, with an established reputation as a prominent newspaperman and politician from Colorado. In January, 1906, he purchased the Goldfield News and developed the newspaper into one of the most successful businesses in the district. 

Mrs. Blanche Sprague was the founder of the first Nevada Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The home of Mrs. Blanche Sprague, “The Gables”, is where the first meeting was held in February of 1910. Mrs. Sprague, a member of the Mayflower Society, was a descendent of both John Alden and Miles Standish, and was a leader in both the social and charitable activities of Goldfield.

The Gables2010 marks the centennial of the D.A.R. in Nevada. In honor of this On August 22, 2010, the Daughters of the American Revolution Nevada Chapters, will present the owners of the Gables, Mr. and Mrs. John Ekman, a plaque to commemorate 100 years. The event will take place at 2:00 P.M. at the entrance to the Gables residence on Crook Street in Goldfield, Nevada. The public is invited to attend.  











The Rectory building of the First Methodist Episcopal Church

Rectory Building

The Rectory building of the First Methodist Episcopal Church built in 1912, housed Reverend J.L. Collins pastor of the church. The building, owned by Esmeralda County is currently used as a offices and a meeting place for the Goldfield Chamber of Commerce and the Goldfield Historical Society.

The building had fallen into disrepair and in the early 1980's volunteers of the Goldfield Chamber and the Goldfield Historical Society requested funds to have it restored for the use of both organizations. Various donations and the Southern Nevada Private Industry council contributed to the restoration of the building. Local professionals, Volunteers and Students of Esmeralda County restored the building with a new roof, and installing plumbing, heat and an additional room.

Thanks to the hard work of volunteers and perseverance in both organizations the building did not succumb to the ravages of time.  The building is a good example of how restoration projects can bring new life and use to small town America.

Recently, county employees and volunteers repaired and replaced the Front porch and  painted the building. 


   

If you have an interest in research of the history or genealogy of Esmeralda County please contact the Central Nevada Museum at cnmuseum@citlink.net

The History of Goldfield
The Tonopah and Goldfield Railroad
Goldfield’s Building Boom
The Devastating Fire of July 6, 1923

The Goldfield Hotel
Featured Historic Property


Copyright © 2013 Goldfield Historical Society
This website is sponsored in part by a grant from the Nevada Commission on Tourism